From: Annette <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Religious Orders in the Census
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2009 19:33:12 -0600

The way nuns were listed in the census seems to depend on how they were enumerated in various areas, but at the sites I’ve seen so far, the surnames were always used, but the birth names weren't always mentioned.

For example, in the 1920 census for St. Mary’s Training School in Des Plaines, IL, under NAME, it lists the surname, then “Sister Mary”, then under RELATION is the rest of their religious order name (fill in the blank). Under OCCUPATION, it says Sister of Mercy. Example: O’Shea, Sister Mary William.

But, in the 1920 census at St. Mary’s Academy in Indiana, under NAME, the person’s surname and birth name is listed, then under OCCUPATION, it gives the person’s order name. For example, under NAME, is listed McGrath, Margaret. Under OCCUPATION: Sister M. Berchman. Incidentally, I believe this is the Holy Cross order.

At St. Ida’s Convent in Chicago in the 1920 census, is listed, for example, NAME: O’Brien Sister Mary A. Under RELATION, Sister of Mercy. Under OCCUPATION, Teacher, Convent.