From: Beth Walsh <>
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Finding My Irish
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 19:17:46 -0800 (PST)

I'm not sure if I read about this book on this list or on another Irish-oriented list, but it is one that I totally recommend that you read.

The title is called "Finding My Irish" by Sharon Shea Bossard, copyright 2007 by Shea Publications ISBN# 0-9767579-0-7.

It is the story of the author's quest to research, find and understand her Irish ancestry. It is hard to explain the range of emotions I have felt while reading this book, from excitement to grief as so many of the events parallel many events that occurred in my own family. It is easy to relate to the feeling that comes over her as she stands in the cottage of her ancestors and envisioned them walking down the gravel path as they left their homeland to travel to America. The emotions one feels standing at the pier in Queenstown (now Cobh) Co. Cork and seeing the same sights as the Irish emigrants saw as they caught their last glimpse of Ireland, a country many would never see again is overwhelming. Even if you are not Irish, the general feeling of finally discovering the place of your ancestors and actually meeting people that share the same blood is definitely one that can be shared by all. If you haven't already read this book, I really think it
would be well worth your while.

Beth

This thread: