IRISH-IN-CHICAGO-L Archives

Archiver > IRISH-IN-CHICAGO > 2008-11 > 1226776833


From: "John Corrigan" <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] IRISH-IN-CHICAGO Digest, Vol 3, Issue 199
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2008 13:20:33 -0600
References: <mailman.303.1226736042.1652.irish-in-chicago@rootsweb.com>
In-Reply-To: <mailman.303.1226736042.1652.irish-in-chicago@rootsweb.com>


Karen,

My gt grandfather didn't come to Chicago until 1891-3. As far as we know he
had no relatives here before he came. He seems to have come here because of
a neighbor from Cleator Moor In Cumbria named Hillan decided to come to
Chicago. Prior to living in England from 1871-1893 or so he lived in Co
Down. And that's where the trail goes cold.

There were at least 5 other papers in Chicago when James died. You might
want to check the others. THen as now papers published different stories and
often times one paper had details the others did not print.

John

On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 2:00 AM, <>wrote:

>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
> 1. Re: 1884 Partial Poll LIst ()
> 2. Re: 1884 Partial Poll LIst (patricia meyers)
> 3. Re: IRISH-IN-CHICAGO Digest, Vol 3, Issue 198 (John Corrigan)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 11:32:07 EST
> From:
> Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] 1884 Partial Poll LIst
> To:
> Message-ID: <>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
>
> John Corrigan:
>
> I am looking for information on James J Corrigan -
> B-24 Jan 1869
> D-21 May 1899
>
> He was a switchman for the RR & died in an accident. Do not know the RR
> name.
> He married my grand aunt - Mary Cecilia Kearns - not sure of the date but I
> think less than 2 years of marriage before he was killed.
>
> Mary Cecilia Kearns - she was a piano teacher
> B 12Aug 1874
> D 23Dec 1945
>
> Do you have any ties to this Corrigan? No one left in this part of the
> Kearns family to ask questions. Both were born in Chicago Illinois.
> Please let
> me know - thank you - Karen J Kearns Richman
> (mailto:)
>
> **************Get the Moviefone Toolbar. Showtimes, theaters, movie news &
> more!(
> http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212774565x1200812037/aol?redir=htt
> p://toolbar.aol.com/moviefone/download.html?ncid=emlcntusdown00000001)
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 09:18:36 -0800 (PST)
> From: patricia meyers <>
> Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] 1884 Partial Poll LIst
> To:
> Message-ID: <>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
>
> Karen,
> I am sending you a short bit from the Trib about James in a separate email.
>
> Patti Meyers
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: "" <>
> To:
> Sent: Friday, November 14, 2008 10:32:07 AM
> Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] 1884 Partial Poll LIst
>
> John Corrigan:
>
> I am looking for information on James J Corrigan -
> B-24 Jan 1869
> D-21 May 1899
>
> He was a switchman for the RR & died in an accident.? Do not know? the RR
> name.
> He married my grand aunt - Mary Cecilia Kearns - not sure of the date but
> I?
> think less than 2 years of marriage before he was killed.
>
> Mary Cecilia Kearns - she was a piano teacher
> B 12Aug 1874
> D 23Dec 1945
>
> Do you have any ties to this Corrigan?? No one left in this part of? the
> Kearns family to ask questions.? Both were born in Chicago? Illinois.?
> Please let
> me know - thank you - Karen J Kearns Richman
> (mailto:)
>
> **************Get the Moviefone Toolbar. Showtimes, theaters, movie news &
> more!(
> http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212774565x1200812037/aol?redir=htt
> p://toolbar.aol.com/moviefone/download.html?ncid=emlcntusdown00000001)
>
> -------------------------------
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 20:35:35 -0600
> From: "John Corrigan" <>
> Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] IRISH-IN-CHICAGO Digest, Vol 3, Issue
> 198
> To:
> Message-ID:
> <>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> Marilyn,
>
> There is only one Thomas at 571 21 st, Ward 6 Pct 7. Is this your man?
>
> John
>
> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 2:00 AM, <
> >wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > Today's Topics:
> >
> > 1. Re: 1884 Partial Poll LIst (Marilyn Shanahan)
> >
> >
> > ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 1
> > Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 17:16:01 -0600
> > From: "Marilyn Shanahan" <>
> > Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] 1884 Partial Poll LIst
> > To: <>
> > Message-ID: <006c01c945e5$cc081980$>
> > Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
> > reply-type=original
> >
> > Hello John:
> > Wondering if you have a Thomas Farrell on your voter registration list?
> He
> > had sisters, Bridget, Mary and Johanna. They all lived pretty much
> together
> > in Chicago, coming from Ontario CA.
> > Thanks for the help.
> > Marilyn Shanahan
> >
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: "John Corrigan" <>
> > To: <>
> > Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2008 8:01 PM
> > Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] 1884 Partial Poll LIst
> >
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Prior to the notorious 1884 presidential election, Cleveland vs Blaine
> > > there
> > > may have been some shennanigans going on with voter registration. Hard
> to
> > > believe. In an attempt to clean up the voter list, two papers, The
> > > Tribune
> > > and the Inter Ocean published the names of the voters in some 58 of the
> > > 171
> > > precincts in Chicago's 18 wards. The total of the names which includes
> > > some
> > > duplications and alternative spellings of surnames is 39,618. Only one
> > > precinct in Wards 13, 14, and 15 were published. No precincts in Ward 4
> > > which went from 29 st to 39 st, Lake Michigan to State St were
> published.
> > > Otherwise the heavily Irish wards are well represented. The list
> included
> > > only surname and given name or initial and the voter's address. If you
> > > would
> > > like to know if someone in your family was registered email me and I
> will
> > > check. Depending on the number of requests an answer may take a little
> > > while
> > > to respond. Please write me before October 15th. Please include the
> > > person's
> > > name and address.
> > >
> > > John E Corrigan
> > >
> > > -------------------------------
> > > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> > > with the word 'unsubscribe'
> > without
> > > the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> > >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > To contact the IRISH-IN-CHICAGO list administrator, send an email to
> > .
> >
> > To post a message to the IRISH-IN-CHICAGO mailing list, send an email to
> > .
> >
> > __________________________________________________________
> > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> >
> > with the word "unsubscribe" without the quotes in the subject and the
> body
> > of the
> > email with no additional text.
> >
> >
> > End of IRISH-IN-CHICAGO Digest, Vol 3, Issue 198
> > ************************************************
> >
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> To contact the IRISH-IN-CHICAGO list administrator, send an email to
> .
>
> To post a message to the IRISH-IN-CHICAGO mailing list, send an email to
> .
>
> __________________________________________________________
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>
> with the word "unsubscribe" without the quotes in the subject and the body
> of the
> email with no additional text.
>
>
> End of IRISH-IN-CHICAGO Digest, Vol 3, Issue 199
> ************************************************
>


This thread: