From: "John Corrigan" <>
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] 1884 Partial Poll LIst
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 21:01:20 -0500

Hello,

Prior to the notorious 1884 presidential election, Cleveland vs Blaine there
may have been some shennanigans going on with voter registration. Hard to
believe. In an attempt to clean up the voter list, two papers, The Tribune
and the Inter Ocean published the names of the voters in some 58 of the 171
precincts in Chicago's 18 wards. The total of the names which includes some
duplications and alternative spellings of surnames is 39,618. Only one
precinct in Wards 13, 14, and 15 were published. No precincts in Ward 4
which went from 29 st to 39 st, Lake Michigan to State St were published.
Otherwise the heavily Irish wards are well represented. The list included
only surname and given name or initial and the voter's address. If you would
like to know if someone in your family was registered email me and I will
check. Depending on the number of requests an answer may take a little while
to respond. Please write me before October 15th. Please include the person's
name and address.

John E Corrigan

This thread: