Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Early Irish history: saloons,parks and dancehalls
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 07:00:41 EDT

My maternal grandfather Patrick FitzGibbon was a saloonkeeper in Chicago.
According to the 1900 census, he is living at 3400 Auburn with his widowed
mother. I've never looked further into it, but assumed the address was a corner
property and, therefore, the 'saloon' he was 'keeping'-- I don't know if it had
a name. I also found him listed in some of the Chicago city directories
(Harold Washington Library) prior to 1900 on 28th & Archer as a saloonkeeper. By
1903 he was moved to Logansport IN and married to his first wife (He was
widowed in 1906 and married my grandmother in 1915). He was a saloonkeeper there
until Prohibition caused him to close down the business. He came back to
Chicago and went into the grocer/butcher business which he 'lost' in the Great
Depression. The store he owned was at 59th & Princeton across from St. Martin's
Church.
Kathleen Richmond
Oak Forest

Gas prices getting you down? Search AOL Autos for
fuel-efficient used cars.