From: Beth Walsh <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Early Irish history: saloons,parks and dancehalls
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 15:42:31 -0700 (PDT)

Well it was also known as Flanagan's -Tom Flanagan was
the owner. Sligo Jack Finan and Kevin Henry used to
play the trad music and have a good old sing song
every Friday night. Tommy Kraw's was just north of it
on the corner (that's gone now, even the sign). I just
drove past all these places last Friday. Looks more
like Tijuana than Chicago.
6511 actually had a bathtub in the women's washroom.
This was one place you could truthfully ask for the
'bathroom'.
These were major meeting places for the Irish
immigrants, from benefit meetings, to football club
meetings, to association meetings, a place to pick up
the papers from home and a place the whole family
(children included) might go to on a Sunday afternoon.
This was a tradition that continued through the years,
carried on down from the places back home. Sadly, most
of that has disappeared.

Beth