Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Irish 1926 Census Returns and LDS Records
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 09:09:39 EDT

I'm happy to sign this petition urging early release of the Irish 1926
records. Catholic subscribers to these lists might also consider writing their
bishops about the recent Vatican directive that Catholic dioceses should not share
parish registers with the LDS to prevent them from baptizing Catholics
posthumously. I think the good that is done for genealogists of all faiths by having
access to records through the LDS far outweighs the annoyance of posthumous
baptism. Since Catholics don't believe posthumous baptism has any affect, it's
hard to see it as more than an annoyance. (I'm not trying to start a
theological discussion/argument, just offering a suggestion.)

Diane Culhane

This thread: