From: "Loree" <>
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Timothy MULDOWNEY,Teresa KELLY in Chicago 1860s - 1880s
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 19:50:10 -0700

First, to so many of the listers here, I truly thank all for the great advice and help and web links that were shared with me during the past two days. You sure have a good group of knowledgeable people here!

Several people suggested I post some details here... so here goes. BTW until two days ago, I knew ONLY that TIMOTHY MULDOWNEY had married TERESA KELLY in Cook Co. in 1864; by 1870 he was a widow with three daughters; and by 1887 was living in Amsterdam, Montgomery, New York.

Their marriage license/record was likely burned in the Great Chicago Fire. It's possible that the Archdiocese could have the marriage, depending upon which church they were married. The concensus seems to be that likely was Holy Name Cathedral or St. Joseph's on the north side. The Archdiocese had already informed me that they have records for Holy Name only from 1871 onward... pre-1871 destroyed in the fire. In a list of churches they sent me, they do not have St. Joseph's listed... but I will write them anyway about it.

In 1866 & 1870, the Muldowneys lived at 411 N. LaSalle Street. Tim had a liquor business, T. E. Muldowney & Co.,wines and liquors, wholesale and retail, located at 29 West Randolph.

In 1880, Tim and his three daughters, Mary (Minnie), Teresa, and Catherine (Kate, Cleo) were living at 99 Wisconsin Avenue. Tim was listed as PETER MULDONY. And by 1887, they had all moved to Amsterdam, where several brothers and sisters of Tim's had settled in earlier years.

These Muldowneys are from County Roscommon, Ireland.

And in case any Muldowneys wander into the Archives here, Timothy's siblings included:
Mary (Maria) Muldowney m. Michael Kennedy, r. New York
Catherine Muldowney m. Owen Cleary/Clarey, r. New York
Patrick Muldowney m. Margaert { }, r. New York
Margaret Muldowney m. James Cleary/Clarey, re New York (and Wd 17 Chicago in 1870.)
Thomas Muldowney m. Catherine Farmer, r. Boston
John Muldowney m. Bridget McLoughlin, r. Boston
and cousins:
Thomas Muldowney m.(1) Fanny Forry (2) Anna Bruen, r. Sandusky, Ohio
John Muldowney m. Bridget McGee r. Providence, Rhode Island

Many thanks...
Loree Muldowney
Palm Desert, California

This thread: