Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] London Times and tidbits
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 08:21:45 -0500

I'm not the least bit worried about the registration process for the
London Times. They are trying to sell newspapers and collect
demographics as to their readers. I gave them my address and my cell
phone. I doubt they will be phoning, but you could always give a
555-555-5555 phone number and/or a fake address.

Speaking of accessibility of personal information ---- did you know you
can do an address search for a Cook County property and see a photo at the
Assessor's office? Sometimes I can see the house my immigrants lived in
circa 1900.

http://www.cookcountyassessor.com/data/searchflat//search.asp

You can snoop further at the County Recorders office, inputting the PIN
number from above, or searching grantor/grantee names for 20 years of
financials on Cook County properties. (Always helpful to see when you a
looking to buy a new house.)

http://ccrd.info/CCRD/il031/index.jsp

One more fun tool ---- google an address --- i.e., "4200 s princeton" ---
click on the first hit "maps.google.com" and then click on "STREET VIEW."
You can move the camera up and down the blocks. Not yet available for
all properties. A Boston researcher loved looking at his
great-grandparent's home and the block.

This thread: