IRISH-IN-CHICAGO-L Archives

Archiver > IRISH-IN-CHICAGO > 2008-03 > 1206068461-01

From: Beth Walsh <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Orphanage?
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 20:01:01 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Bill,
That was the Morgan Park Home for Dependent Children located at 10704 S Prospect. It was also called Morgan Park Industrial Home for Girls. Maybe there was more than one building for different needs?
I found that in the Chicago Tribune, though no other information was given. It was just listed with other orphanages, etc in a couple of stories.

One of my relatives also married a Jewish woman. He is buried in a Catholic cemetery (Mt Olivet I think it was) and her obit doesn't state where she is, but she's not with him!

Beth

WILLIAM P KARR <> wrote:
Listers,

I just received a copy of the 1920 census for my Grand Uncles' wives - Caroline & Edith Gradt. It is the 32nd Ward, Enumeration Dist 2038, in the Morgan Park area. They were very young and lived at 10704 S. Prospect, but so did about 30 others. Was this an orphanage? It says they were inmates.

Family history states they were Jewish. My uncle Leo McDermott is buried at St. Mary's Cemetery in Evergreen Park. Caroline is nowhere around him, weird. Probably due to her being Jewish? Even though, she married a Catholic?

Bill