From: WILLIAM P KARR <>
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Orphanage?
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 21:03:09 -0500

Listers,

I just received a copy of the 1920 census for my Grand Uncles' wives - Caroline & Edith Gradt. It is the 32nd Ward, Enumeration Dist 2038, in the Morgan Park area. They were very young and lived at 10704 S. Prospect, but so did about 30 others. Was this an orphanage? It says they were inmates.

Family history states they were Jewish. My uncle Leo McDermott is buried at St. Mary's Cemetery in Evergreen Park. Caroline is nowhere around him, weird. Probably due to her being Jewish? Even though, she married a Catholic?

Bill

This thread: