Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] James/George FLEMING
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 12:14:16 EDT

I apologize for the cross-posting but someone on one of these listings was
searching for information about a FLEMING family -- names included James and
George (and perhaps William) and having searched my old emails have been
unable to locate which list -- but the family's history involved both Limerick and
Chicago as I recall. The messages rang a little bell at the time, but I
couldn't place why the names were familiar and just found this item which I hope
will be a connection. The widow of James Fleming in the obit copied below
was my mother-in-law's cousin, Planxty SCANLAN FLEMING. I actually have a
letter written by Erin Samson, niece of James and Planxty Scanlan, to her
cousins, the family of the George FLEMING mentioned. Planxty died in 1948 -- I
have her obit, but it provides no survivor information apart from her brother,
Kickham SCANLAN, who was an Illinois Supreme Court Justice, so presumably
James and Planxty had no children.
1942-04-05
Chicago Tribune (IL)
FLEMING
Edition: Chicago Tribune
James P. Fleming, beloved husband of Planxty Scanlan Fleming, brother of
Arthur W., Ella May, and George J. Resting at funeral home, 2500 N. Cicero
avenue. Funeral Monday, 10 a.m. Interment Arlington. Member of local No. 143, I.
U. O. E. [school engineer], and McKinley camp, Spanish-American War Veterans.
Berkshire 8070.
Copyright 1942, Chicago Tribune. For permission to reprint, contact Chicago
Tribune.
Record Number: 19420405dn008

Would love to hear from the poster of the original messages re their FLEMING
family to see if there's a connection.

Beth Callanan
Washington, DC