From: "Bonnie Brown" <>
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Fleming
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 11:27:57 -0500

Just a couple of thoughts on your Flemings...from a local.

Visitation parish was right "next" to St. Gabriels...also an Irish parish.
Have you looked there for your Flemings? My Irish stockyards workers (e.g.
butchers) all went to St. Gabes. In their Diamond Jubilee souvenir book,
there's one sample page of early marriages...a Mary A. Fleming marries
William B. Cook on October 3, 1880. There's also a John "Nickey" Fleming
listed...just in a list of nicknames of the kids...no date on it, sorry.
St. Gabes records have been filmed through FHL, too.

Also, VanBuren County Michigan is just over the border of Indiana...maybe
100-120 miles from Chicago...unless you're sure it's not the right guy, it
might be worth checking out. I started to say it's only about 1.5 hours
drive from here, but now...with construction and traffic, probably 2 hours
at least. Does anyone know when the South Shore Railroad was built? That
went as far as South Bend, and VanBuren County is only minutes from South
Bend. Lots of lakes and dance halls up there...maybe a weekend jaunt?

Good luck.

Bonnie

This thread: