Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Catholic Churches....death records
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 21:18:49 -0500

Sarah,

I checked the cyberdrive site for pre-1916 deaths: http://www.ilsos.gov/GenealogyMWeb/deathsrch.html. It shows:
FLEMING, JOHN 03/10/1900CHICAGO 71 YRU00005285COOK

You can contact the County Clerk's Office. It will cost you $15 dollars even with the four digit number above (they ignore the zeroes). You can go to the Clerk's website at: http://www.cookctyclerk.com/sub/death_certificates.asp and download a request form, mail it in, and in 6-8 weeks - Voila!, it arrives in the mail.

As far as the church records go, I believe the archdiocese has a corner on them, although some churches do have some records. Check out: http://archives.archchicago.org/ for further info.

Bill