From: sarah toblesky <>
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Catholic Churches....death records
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 11:27:47 -0500

I've never posted to this list but read it religiously. Question...I have information from an obit that my Greatgrandmother was buried in 1900 out of Visitation Church in Chicago. Can someone tell me what type of information would be in the church records regarding her mass and buriel? The obit in the Chicago Tribune shows her coming from Maulleen County Limerick which according to other Irish sites does not exist. I'm hoping the church might have information as to her roots in Ireland. Would appreciate any help. My entire family lived and died in Chicago but they are my brick walls..I;m having a terrible time finding out anything about them. First the fire 1871...then the loss of the 1890 census, etc. I don't want to call the church and make a donation if there's nothing much to be found in a buriel record. I don't live in Illinois so can't do much foot work looking for my family.
Greatgrandfather: John Fleming (wife: Mary Butler Fleming)
Their children: Henry, William (my grandfather), George, John, and Maggie. I know all about Henry, William & George. Nothing about John or Maggie. You are all so knowledgeable about Irish Genealogy I hope you can enlighten me. Thanks so much.
sally