From: patricia meyers <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] US Naturalization protocol
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 04:56:15 -0800 (PST)

Every state seems to have its own policies regarding the required forms. As populations grew I think state and local governments realized they needed more data in order to budget funds, etc.and to get a handle on just who its citizens were. Beats me as to why they had to know height and weight and so forth but I'm sure they had reasons. Maybe someone on the list can shed some light on this.

Marriage records also had little information until much later. I believe Cook County destroyed marriage applications?

Patti