From: Annette <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Thomas Kearns-Elizabeth McEnerny
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 16:42:23 -0600

Hi Karen,

Like Maureen, I would recommend looking at the census records. It's a great place to find lots of family members. Check your library on-line to see if you can access a database from home w/your library card. Ususally libraries will allow you to access HeritageQuest from home, and Ancestry.com in the library. Ancestry has a much better search engine, and has access to censuses through 1930. Heritage Quest, for most states, is current through 1920.

I thought I'd take a look from home at HeritageQuest, and this is what I found. For Thomas Kearns, I located him in IL in 1870, age 19, clerk at grocer. Looks like he was living with the grocer at the time.

Then in 1880, at age 28, he was still a grocery clerk, married to Elizabeth, 27, w/2 children, Mary, 5, and Joseph, 2. Also living w/them were 2 of Elizabeth's McEnerny siblings, Daniel, 24, sign painter, and Mary, 18, seamstress. They lived at 262 W. 13th St.

In 1910, I find Elizabeth Kearns, 57, widow, living at 2022 W. 13th St (possibly same place, post address number change?) with her widowed daughter Mary Corrigan, 35, music teacher, and son Frank, 24, RR clerk. The census says Eliz. had 4 children, 3 still living. Mary had no children at this time.

In 1920, Elizabeth, Mary, teacher, and Joseph, manager at printing co., are living at 4127 Adams. So it looks like the 3 surviving children are Mary, Joseph, and Frank.

If you have not seen these census pages yet and are unable to access them, let me know and I will try to send them to you off-list.

You might find the Kearns in other years at Ancestry.com. For example, Frank is married to Florence in 1920, and they have 2 kids. You can build on your list by looking for Elizabeth's siblings, or the rest of her family on earlier censuses. She was born in IL. I find it easier to search for children and other non heads of households on the Ancestry search engine. I think Ancestry also uses soundex, which will pull up variant name spellings.

Have fun searching,

Annette