From: patricia meyers <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] US Naturalization protocol
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 08:19:29 -0800 (PST)

Just to add a bit to Margaret's information (and thank you, Maureen, for posting it), I am doing data entry for the Declarations of Intent for the Circuit Court of Cook County (1907-1929).

What is included on the document is:
name of the petitioner (according to what the clerk could understand),
birth date (I suspect that some people made up their birth dates),
description in height and weight, color of hair and eyes, and noticeable deformities/scars,
the port of entry,
date of entry,
the name of the ship or some came by railroad through Canada (some don't remember the ship's name), occupation,
birthplace (often unrecognizable due to the clerk's misunderstanding of the birthplace information),
if married,
wife's name (have yet to see a maiden name) and where she was born (usually just the country is given!)
and if they are living together
plus current address is noted.

Oftentimes the signature of the petitioner doesn't resemble what the clerk has deciphered as the petitoner's name, or else it's just an "X." A lot depends on how well the petitioner understands and speaks English.

People whose alphabet differs from our 26 letters would sign their names according to the way they knew from their schooling complete with all sorts of diacritical marks (Polish and old German script). So a lot depended on how the clerk understood the spoken name.

The data is entered into the computer according to what the clerk has written, but the person doing the data entry can also flag the spelling of the surname if it looks significantly different from the person's signature. Also there is sometimes a problem deciphering the handwriting of the clerk with all its flourishes and fancy initials!

Patti