Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Fwd: [Y-IRL] St Patrick's Day with a difference
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 20:54:14 -0600

Forwarded from another list:

"On behalf of Trevor Hamilton, Canada

Pubs ignoring St. Patrick's Day change
February 24, 2008

A pub on St. Patrick's Day has never been the most pious of places, but this year downing a few pints of green beer on March 17 might even seem sacrilegious.

The feast day for Ireland's patron saint falls in 2008 on the Monday of Holy Week, and in the eyes of the Catholic Church celebrating any event other than the sacred days leading up to Easter Sunday is all but sinful.

At the behest of Irish bishops, the Vatican last summer gave Catholics permission to mark the feast of St. Patrick two days earlier this year, on March 15, and some church leaders in Europe and North America have been urging pubs to change their day of partying, too.

However, David Gillingham, manager of the Irish Embassy Pub & Grill at Yonge and Wellington Sts., said management decided the big day would stay put.

For one thing, he said, March 15 falls on a Saturday, and holding St. Patrick's Day on the weekend would not attract the same clientele the pub gets during the week.

"We're not going to change just because Lent came a week early."

This year, Toronto's St. Patrick's Day Parade will take place March 16, technically the day after St. Paddy's Day.

Parade director Shane Gallagher said he did not give much thought to the date, even though the parade usually happens the weekend
before the feast day.

"The parade is going to go on," Gallagher said. "I didn't pick the day, so I'm not going to change it."

Bartender Johny Buckley at Murphy's Law Irish Pub in the Beaches said they'll host the Irish bacchanal on the same date as always.

When told the Pope himself might be backing the change, Buckley just laughed. "He's not Irish," he said."

How are Irish-in-Chicago handling the change or is there one?

Bill

This thread: