From: "Bonnie Brown" <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Obtaining Civil War Pension Files
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 11:51:20 -0600

I've sent for several Civil War Pension files.

Some have been fabulous...
a ream or more of copies, testimonies by the soldier himself, testimonies
by friends, family, copies of physician's reports (they all had piles and
rheumatism).
One ancestor described the Battle of Wilderness in some detail, sleeping in
the mud and marching
for hours the day after.

Some have been absolutely worthless...a cover sheet and one or two pages,
mostly just
muster acknowledgements. The charge is the same either way, unfortunately.

The only other way I know of to get copies is through a private researcher.
At one time
I had a web site for a gentleman in the DC area who did lookups/copying at
NARA at a reasonable
charge...though he was so swamped with work it was taking him several months
fulfill "orders". I don't seem to have that name or website on my computer
anymore...
you might do some googling and see what you can come up with.

Good luck.

Bonnie

This thread: