From: Judith Mason <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Birth Certificates
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 08:36:01 -0800 (PST)

Bill,

Sounds like this might be a delayed birth certificate. I would suspect Cook County didn't have his birth record at the time he may have been registering for social security so he supplied his copy (maybe the original) for filing.

Judie Mason

wrote:
Listers,

I recently received a copy of my grandfather's birth certificate. My grandfather was born 24 August 1893. It gives the usual information. However, the bottom third appears to be an affidavit, which was notarized in 1942. Grandpa would have been 44 going on 45 at the time. Is there some reason I am not aware of for this affidavit? Didn't they have birth certificates in 1893?

Bill Karr