Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] RC Church
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 21:54:56 -0600

Listers,

If my calculations are correct and I utilized the 1905 Church Directory correctly, St. Brendan's was/is(?) at 6714 S. Racine. I recall an earlier discussion about Centre Street being renamed Racine.

I just received my maternal grandparents' marriage certificate from Cook County. It looks like a Rev. Scanlon officiated the ceremony. Way back in '22, didn't they have a waiting period to get married? There is a 16 day interval between the application and the date of marriage.

When I got married to my wife back in '87, you had to wait and have a blood test, shortly after that someone took the fact they needed an AIDS test to get married to court and won. This was during the height of the AIDS epidemic. Therefore, in Illinois, you don't need a blood test to get married.

Can someone confirm this is St. Brendan's? Also, does anyone have any information on Rev. Scanlon?

Bill Karr

This thread: