From: Judith Mason <>
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Mason - Macun - Masen - Masson
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 17:54:23 -0800 (PST)

Hi Sharon,

You are certainly right about never being too creative in reading old handwritting....as proof, look at how something as simple as Mason was misread/miswritten. In Olde English s was written as f.

As for the name MASEN, one never knows. I'm corresponding with a number of distant relatives in Ireland who tell me the MASON line came to Ireland from Scotland some 300 years ago and possibly Poland before that. One suggested the MASON name is English of English (Macun/Mason) origin from the County of Kent near the the English Channel and closest to France (Masson). It was my understanding the MASON was an Anglo Norman name having been in Ireland since the 12th (?) century so the French connection seems more likely to me. I recall my Dad saying Mason was one of the oldest surnames in Ireland. My brother recalls the Norman story - maybe the French connection will turn out to be the one. What's the distance between Austria and France? Maybe your Masen is actually Masson. LOL

Judie

Sharon Kavanagh <> wrote:
Well, there is a big difference (nationality!) between Mason and McMahon, I
would think. But it just goes to prove you never can bee too creative in
reading the old handwriting. I have seen plenty of instances in records from
the 1800's where S looked like F, and the other way around.

By the way, my husband's grandfather (Austrian) was Masen/Chicago. Any
connection possible with your Masons?
Sharon K.