IRISH-IN-CHICAGO-L Archives

Archiver > IRISH-IN-CHICAGO > 2008-01 > 1201836025

From:
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Longwood Academy and St Margaret of Scotland
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 21:20:25 -0600
References: <f63ab1f22be6d.47a0e37a@insightbb.com><C3C6B1FD.4CD9%cathsherry@mac.com>
In-Reply-To: <C3C6B1FD.4CD9%cathsherry@mac.com>

Cathy,

Yes, I would be interested. My mom graduated in 1942.

Bill

From: Catherine Sherry <>
Date: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 22:01
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Longwood Academy and St Margaret of Scotland

> Patti and Bill,
> Both my mother, Ann Andrews, and my grandmother, Blanche Smith,
> attendedLongwood for high school. My mother graduated in
> cir.1954 and my
> grandmother, cir. 1930.
> My mother may remember some information if you are interested.
> Cathy
> On 1/30/08 9:52 PM, ""
> <> wrote:
> > Patti,
> > That's great, thank you.
> > Bill
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: patricia meyers <>
> > Date: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 22:04
> > Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Longwood Academy and St
> Margaret of Scotland
> > To:
> >> Bill,
> >> I see grammar school friends who went to Longwood. I
> >> didn't see anything online but you never know about these
> >> things...like maybe there's something "underground" like the
> >> Mercy-Mendel Forum. I'll email a friend....
> >> Patti
> >> ----- Original Message ----
> >> From: Nan Brennan <>
> >> To:
> >> Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 9:45:49 PM
> >> Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Longwood Academy and St Margaret of
> >> Scotland
> >> Hi Bill,
> >>
> >> We always called it Longwood, too, Bill.
> >> The official name was AOL-Academy of our Lady.
> >>
> >> It's a Chicago Public School Charter School now.
> >> I can't find a website for alumni or anything, but I didn't put
> >> a lot
> >> of effort into it.
> >> The St Margaret of Scotland website history page mentions it:
> >> http://www.stmargaretofscotland.com/history.htm
> >>
> >> Any Longwood or St Margaret of Scotland alums on our list?
> >> Nan
> >> On Jan 29, 2008, at 9:30 PM, wrote:
> >>> Nan and Patti,
> >>>
> >>> Thanks for the site. I found my dad in the 1942 Yearbook as
> >> a
> >>> senior. His brother, Tom, was a class vice-president as a
> >> senior in
> >>> 1941. They have my dad's surname is Carr in 1941 junior class,
> >> but
> >>> Karr in 1942. My uncle Tom's surname is okay in 1941 and they
> >> were
> >>> brothers?!!! Weird.
> >>>
> >>> I had forgotten my dad was in band. I even forgot he played
> >> an
> >>> instrument until my cousin reminded me he played the tuba.
> >>>
> >>> My brother was not in the 1964 freshman class, as I
> >> reiterated, he
> >>> was expelled for hitting a Brother. I'm not sure why, but they
> >> did
> >>> not take that too well.
> >>>
> >>> Does anyone know if there is a similar site for Longwood
> >> Academy?
> >>> It was called Longwood because it was on or near Longwood
> >> Street,
> >>> if I remember correctly, but the actual name was something
> >> else,
> >>> was it not? My mom went there, while my dad went to Leo.
> >>>
> >>>> From: Nan Brennan <>
> >>>> To:
> >>>> Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2008 7:25:00 PM
> >>>> Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] St Leo HS yearbooks online help for
> >>>> parish origins
> >>>>
> >>>> Hats off to St Leo Alumni.
> >>>>
> >>>> They have done a terrific job on their webpage.
> >>>> This is one of the best ever high school alumni pages I have
> >>>> ever seen.
> >>>> And it is a work in progress.
> >>>> http://www.leohsalumniassoc.com/home.htm
> >>>> To view yearbooks, click on the "Your Class" link upper right
> >>>> corner
> >>>> of the Home Page.
> >>>> One of the benefits for genealogy research is that the
> parish of
> >>>> the
> >>>> student is listed
> >>>> in at least some of these yearbooks. This was helpful to
> >>>> me. I knew
> >>>> of someone
> >>>> who was a cousin, but couldn't remember what parish they
> were in
> >>>> and
> >>>> didn't
> >>>> have a address for the years I was searching. His Yearbook
> >>>> picture
> >>>> listed
> >>>> his grammar school, so I was able to continue my family search
> >>>> on
> >>>> that line.
> >>>> There is also a link to the Parish and to The History of
> >>>> St Leo the
> >>>> Great Parish
> >>>> and its origins as a mission church (St Anne's) on Garfield Blvd:
> >>>> http://home.att.net/~stleo/slgschf.html
> >>>> I didn't know that Mercy High School girls first met for class
> >>>> at St
> >>>> Leo.
> >>>>
> >>>> The elementary page is under construction.
> >>>>
> >>>> If of interest to any of you, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
> >>>> Nan
> >>>> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> >>>
> >>> -------------------------------
> >>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-
> IN-
> >>
> >>> with the word 'unsubscribe'
> >> without
> >>> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> >> -------------------------------
> >> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-
> IN-
> >> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
> >> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> >> -------------------------------
> >> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-
> IN-
> >> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
> >> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> > -------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> > with the word
> 'unsubscribe' without the
> > quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> --
> Go Cats!
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-IN-
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message