Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Holy Family 150th
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 22:00:44 EST

Thanks, Mary Kay. With every e-mail I'm increasing my resolve to go to Mass
there.

In a message dated 1/29/2008 10:31:37 A.M. Central Standard Time,
writes:

I, too, attended the 150th anniversary Mass at Holy Family, and can only
echo Judie Mason's excellent summary of the occasion. It seems impossible
that the pennies and nickels of poor Irish immigrants could result in such a
magnicifent structure. I was able to find a seat on one of the side aisles,
but couldn't see a lot of the ceremony, but spent a long time afterward
looking over the church and especially the 27 refurbished golden carved
angels temporarily removed from atop the organ. One amusing feature was a
raised panel on a side altar depicting the Holy Family on the flight into
Egypt---it shows St. Joseph wearing an Irish bowler hat! The gospel choir
was so entertaining and there was a great uplifting feeling among the crowd
throughout the Mass. One can only marvel on how the church had its two
great escapes, the first from the Great Fire of 1871 and the second from the
threatened razing in 1987.

Mary Kay Kuhfittig