From: Nan Brennan <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Crowe - O'Brien - Leddin and NASH
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 23:50:44 -0600

Hello Margaret in Victoria Australia!

At least some of your Crowe ancestors were, from some point on, in
VISITATION Parish.....a lot
of members of this list, including me, had ancestors in Vis.

Chicago Tribune printed a notice of a marriage of
Matthew Crowe to Margaret Nash on June 13, 1901.
That means the permit was issued on the previous day.
This is almost certainly your Matthew and Margaret.

Margaret died in Chicago in 1942, here is her obit:
Chicago Tribune Oct 27 1942

Margaret Crowe, nee Nash, late of 5432 Carpenter St,
dearly beloved wife of Mathew Crowe, fond mother of
Helen C. Franklin and James W. Crowe, sister
of Mrs D. Conway, Patrick and Anna Nash and
Sister M Hilarion. Funeral Thursday at 10am from
funeral home 5438 S Halsted to Visitation church.
Interment Holy Sepulchre.

Matthew Crowe died Nov 1952.
Chicago Tribune Nov 9, 1952.

Matthew Crowe, formerly of 5430 S Carpenter St.
beloved husband of the late Margaret Nash Crowe,
father of Helen C. Franklin and James W Crowe,
Father in law of Robert Franklin. Funeral home
5438 S Halsted. Funeral Wednesday to Visitation church
Interment Holy Sepulchre.

This is an odd coincidence, laid out the same day in the same chapel
and going
to the same church and the same cemetery was a Thomas Crowe, of 5729
S Lowe
son of Mary nee Behan and the late Patrick Crowe.

Matthew was a Chicago Police Officer.
In 1910 he and Margaret were living at 5346 S Carpenter
in Chicago's 29th Wd. (Ed 1231) a block down from where
his was residing 42 years later when he died. So they stayed put!
He was 41 and Marg. 34 according to that census, Helen 6 andJames 3.
This census records that they both emigrated in 1890.

1920---no changes, same address, same job, same wife, same kids!
gives citizenship date of 1891
1930 have moved down the street and bought a home at 5430 Carpenter.
gives emigration year of 1887, Margaret 1890.
He is 61, apparently retired, Margaret is 53. James single age 24
is living with them and he is employed as a foreman for the
Chicago Board of Education.
(fellow listers is this an Chicago Irish story or what!)

There was a James Crowe that was director of CHicago Vocational High
School
in Chicago in 1959, but I don't know if that was Matthew's son.

Maybe you can take a look at ellisislandrecords.org and see if you
can find
Margaret Nash coming over in 1890.

Hope this helps.