IRISH-IN-CHICAGO-L Archives

Archiver > IRISH-IN-CHICAGO > 2008-01 > 1201376339

From:
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Irish Bridgade - and - 89th IL"RailroadRegiment"
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 14:38:59 -0500
References: <383687.39969.qm@web81010.mail.mud.yahoo.com><002601c86042$6910b5f0$9a03a8c0@D4P1Z0C1> <4304912A-2BA9-4D7A-AD84-EC909B93414B@mindspring.com><002601c8604f$3874f110$b703a8c0@D4P1Z0C1>
In-Reply-To: <002601c8604f$3874f110$b703a8c0@D4P1Z0C1>

Just for the purpose of general information, I learned from a gentleman/scholar at the Library of Congress, that many people are disappointed in finding "deserter" on the mustering out rolls.? He said that in almost all cases, it was simply that the men/boys didn't want to wait around for the red tape in getting the paper work finalized and simply wanted to get home to home and hearth.

Susan

p.s.? I have a K/Cavanagh who went off to the Civil War in Illinois, and was never heard from again.
He was brother of my gg-grandfather, Patrick Cavangh (any spelling).? Unfortunately, I don't have his first name.? I also have never found any information about the "missings"..........just pension rolls or mustering out info, which don't apply.

From: Sharon Kavanagh <>
Sent: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 2:11 pm
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Irish Bridgade - and - 89th IL "RailroadRegiment"

Nan - just curious - did you find Dan's - Frank Curran in the IL 23 or IL 89
in the NPS S&S System?

Also, we Kavanaghs, of course, are not able to be certain that the James
Kavanagh in the 23 IL is "ours," however NARA Civil War Pension records
exist for him and his widow having received Civil War Pension until 1923.

Sharon

From: "Nan Brennan" <>
Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2008 10:09 AM
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Irish Bridgade - and - 89th IL
"RailroadRegiment"

> Thanks much for that info, Sharon.
> I did find the NPS site and the entry for Dan's, Frank Curran.
> There's no detail yet, but gives a film number.
> Apparently they will add those records later.
> I'm not a Civil War researcher at all, but I think there are NARA
> records on the CW (online).
> Nan
> On Jan 26, 2008, at 11:39 AM, Sharon Kavanagh wrote:
>> Hello Dan, Nan and other listers,
>> It sounds like you have done a thorough search of Civil War
>> Rosters, but
>> when I read about your 23 IL Company B ancestor, I had to tell you
>> this.
>> We had been informed (by Ill.State Archives) that James Kavanagh
>> served in
>> the 89th IL Infantry and they sent a copy of his mustering out papers.
>> However, we never could find him in the 89 IL rosters.
>> I am not a Civil War scholar. However, in doing some reading I
>> discovered
>> that 89 IL and 23 IL have a complicated (couple of?) consolidation
>> (s) and
>> share the same rosters for several Companies.
>> We found James Kavanagh in the National Park Service Civil War
>> Soldiers &
>> Sailors System in the 23 IL "Irish" Infantry after having searched
>> rosters
>> unsuccessfully for him in the 89 IL "Railroad" Infantry.
>> You can Google the NPS website, but I will also send it to you
>> offlist since
>> Rootsweb does not allow us to send URLs. Also I will forward a
>> link to a
>> Rootsweb ILCivil War history resource.
>> Good Luck, Dan.
>> Sharon Kavanagh
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: "dan hogan" <>
>> To: <>
>> Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2008 8:18 AM
>> Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Irish Bridgade
>>> I have an ancestor who was supposedly in the Chicago
>>> Irish Brigade. He was one Frank Curran, 23 IL
>>> Infantry, Company B. He was killed in action at the
>>> Battle of Lexington, MO also called the Battle of the
>>> Hemp Bales. Nan has previously helped me with rosters
>>> but he does not appear there, though I have his
>>> enlistment record. Does a Frank Curran appear in any
>>> of these news articles?
>>>
>>> Dan Hogan
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --- Nan Brennan <> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Bill,
>>>>
>>>> That's terrific that you were able to obtain those
>>>> citations from John.
>>>> I'm assuming they may not have included the Chicago
>>>> Tribune?
>>>> There are 100s of articles in the Chicago Tribune on
>>>> related subjects.
>>>> 300 articles on the Irish Brigade just in the years
>>>> 1861 and 1862.
>>>>
>>>> Here's an example of some from a later
>>>> period---during the Boer War
>>>> Chicago Tribune, Aug 24, 1902 page 16
>>>> Picnic For Ambulance Corps
>>>> Irish-Americans to have an outing at Oswald's Grove
>>>> to Raise Money
>>>> For Chicagoans in Africa. (very long article)
>>>>
>>>> The corp in this article is called the
>>>> "Irish-American-Boer Ambulance
>>>> Association of Chicago"
>>>> Capt John J Quinn was president. Some of the names
>>>> mentioned (of
>>>> soldiers waiting to be
>>>> brought home from Johannesburg): James Jeffries,
>>>> Michael Halley,
>>>> Jerry O'Leary,
>>>> Peter O'Hara, George Wilson, Earnest Criss, Louis
>>>> Rupprecht, Joseph
>>>> Wade, James French,
>>>> Joseph Kennedy, John McGlew.
>>>> Chicago Tribune Feb 11, 1900 page 13
>>>> IRISH CORPS OFF TODAY
>>>> HOSPITAL FORCE FOR BOER ARMY TO START AT 10AM
>>>> Chicago Tribune Nov 17, 1900 page 1 (continues on
>>>> several pages)
>>>> IRISH VALOR IN TRANSVAAL WAR
>>>> CHicago Ambulance Corp Tell of Their Five Months'
>>>> Campaign in Africa
>>>>
>>>> Very long article about their return to New York.
>>>> Many stories of
>>>> numerous battles, etc.
>>>> Some Chicago members listed in this article:
>>>> John Duff, Daniel McHugh, John Costello, Patrick
>>>> Carroll (341 W
>>>> Adams), John Quinn (124 E Ohio), James Coyne,
>>>> (Daniel McHugh was captured), John Walsh (317
>>>> Jackson) Dr AF Conroy
>>>> (captured), Dr J.R. McNamara, Dr Jeremiah Slattery,
>>>> Dr H.H. McAuley, Dr Ross, T. Long.
>>>> Casualties of the Corp mentioned: Edward Eagan of
>>>> Ceylon.
>>>> Others from Chicago: Thomas Naughton, Richard
>>>> Cahill, Fred Verslius,
>>>> Rudolph Linsehoter
>>>> Daniel m. Daly, Captain Patrick O'Connor, Hubert
>>>> O'Hara (863 Girard
>>>> St), William Hurley (1148 47thPL)
>>>>
>>>> Have you already read alot of the Tribune stories?
>>>> Nan
>>>> On Jan 25, 2008, at 1:51 PM, Bill King wrote:
>>>>> I was very interested in the Clan na Gael
>>>> "ambulance corps" from
>>>>> Chicago that went to the Boer War. My great uncle
>>>> was in the
>>>>> "ambulance corps". John has since sent me
>>>> citations of Chicago
>>>>> newspapers articles that report on the organizing
>>>> and the actions
>>>>> of the "ambulance corps". This is a great help to
>>>> me as I work on
>>>>> my family history. Bill King
>>>>>
>>>>> -----Original Message-----
>>>>>> From: Nan Brennan <>
>>>>>> Sent: Jan 24, 2008 10:56 PM
>>>>>> To:
>>>>>> Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Q & A More feedback
>>>> on John Corrigan.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> I know many of you engaged directly with John and
>>>> some had specific
>>>>>> questions for him. Could you share this onlist,
>>>> for all of us, but
>>>>>> especially
>>>>>> for those who were unable to attend?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Annette, did you get the information you were
>>>> interested in on
>>>>>> priests?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Also, I had to leave the table twice. So I
>>>> missed some things, too.
>>>>>> Did anyone ask John about his website, his
>>>> database-----the how
>>>>>> and when
>>>>>> of it's availability?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Thanks for sharing your information with all of
>>>> us.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Nan
>>>
>>> Dan Hogan
>>>
>>>
>>> -------------------------------
>>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>>> with the word 'unsubscribe'
>>> without
>>> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-IN-
>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
>> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of
the message

________________________________________________________________________
More new features than ever. Check out the new AOL Mail ! - http://webmail.aol.com