Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Irish Bridgade - and - 89th IL"RailroadRegiment"
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 14:38:59 -0500

Just for the purpose of general information, I learned from a gentleman/scholar at the Library of Congress, that many people are disappointed in finding "deserter" on the mustering out rolls.? He said that in almost all cases, it was simply that the men/boys didn't want to wait around for the red tape in getting the paper work finalized and simply wanted to get home to home and hearth.

Susan

p.s.? I have a K/Cavanagh who went off to the Civil War in Illinois, and was never heard from again.
He was brother of my gg-grandfather, Patrick Cavangh (any spelling).? Unfortunately, I don't have his first name.? I also have never found any information about the "missings"..........just pension rolls or mustering out info, which don't apply.