From: "Sharon Kavanagh" <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Irish Bridgade - and - 89th IL "RailroadRegiment"
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 09:39:31 -0800

Hello Dan, Nan and other listers,

It sounds like you have done a thorough search of Civil War Rosters, but
when I read about your 23 IL Company B ancestor, I had to tell you this.

We had been informed (by Ill.State Archives) that James Kavanagh served in
the 89th IL Infantry and they sent a copy of his mustering out papers.
However, we never could find him in the 89 IL rosters.

I am not a Civil War scholar. However, in doing some reading I discovered
that 89 IL and 23 IL have a complicated (couple of?) consolidation(s) and
share the same rosters for several Companies.

We found James Kavanagh in the National Park Service Civil War Soldiers &
Sailors System in the 23 IL "Irish" Infantry after having searched rosters
unsuccessfully for him in the 89 IL "Railroad" Infantry.

You can Google the NPS website, but I will also send it to you offlist since
Rootsweb does not allow us to send URLs. Also I will forward a link to a
Rootsweb ILCivil War history resource.

Good Luck, Dan.
Sharon Kavanagh