IRISH-IN-CHICAGO-L ArchivesArchiver > IRISH-IN-CHICAGO > 2008-01 > 1201342180
From: Nan Brennan <>
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] 96th Year St James 1951
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 04:09:40 -0600
May 13, 1951
MARK 96TH YEAR AT ST JAMES' NEXT SUNDAY
Former Parishioners to be Guests
ST JAMES CHURCH, 29th st and Wabash av., will hold homecoming
for former parishioners next Sunday when it marks its 96th anniversary
with a 10:30 a.m. solemn high mass. The REV FRANCIS LAVIN,
pastor, will celebrate the mass, assisted by the REV WILLIAM J COGAN
and the REV MARTIN FARRELL
Old-timers will review the recently completed $150,000 grammar school
which contains eight classrooms and an office. It will accomodate 450
pupils. Measuring 152 by 76 feet the one story building is run by
the Sisters of Mercy.
Known as the "mother parish" of south side Catholic Churches,
St James'first services were held in St Agatha's Convent of Mercy,
26th St and Calumet ave in 1855. The first frame church was put
up in 1858 on Prairie av. between 26th and 29th Sts.
The REV THOMAS KELLY was first pastor and served until called
to duty as a Civil War chaplain in 1861.
During the pastorate of the REV P.W. RIORDAN the present Gothic
style building was erected in the 1870s, followed by construction of
a tower in 1883. An elementary school was built in 1884 and a high
school in 1897, both under the leadership of REV HUGH MCGUIRE.
South siders who have worked on plans for next Sunday's home-
coming include FRANK COYLE, THOMAS J NUGENT, EDWARD J RYAN,
JOSEPH O'REILLY, JAMES RILEY, RAYMOND P. DUFFY, GEORGE
FERGUSON, AND EDWARD TIEDEBOHL.
|[IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] 96th Year St James 1951 by Nan Brennan <>|