From: Nan Brennan <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] McQuillans in Chicago and beyond.
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 03:12:27 -0600

Listers, I think this is Ellen's first post, or at least detailed
post, giving some of her family history
Maybe some of you might recognize a common surname:

Co Monaghan: McQuillan,, Daly
Co Longford:Green
Possibly Tipperary:Condon, O'Brien
Queens CountyFarrell
Co Sligo:Lavin, McDonagh (McDonough)

Ellen,
Thanks very much for sharing some of your family history with us, and
I am impressed at
how much you have already accomplished. You have given us all a lot
to digest!

I took a look at Griffiths Valuation for your Lavins. I searched John
Lavin.
The good news is that you may only have to focus on about 8 townlands
in 5 parishes. That's still some searching, but it's not formidable.

There is one in particular that caught my attention, that was a John
Lavin
in Carrigans, Lower townland of the parish of Emlaghfad. (1858) John
Lavins
Lessor/landlord was a FARRELL, William Farrell. I know your Michael
came
from Queens, but it's possible there's a connection, then again,
maybe not!

Here's all of what I found in Griffiths/Sligo/John Lavin (Lessoris in
parentheses)
P=Parish T=Townland
John Lavin (William Phibbs) P Aghanagh T Carricknahorna East
John Lavin (William Phibbs) P Aghanagh T Carricknahorna East
John Lavin (William Phibbs) P Aghanagh T Corradoo East
John Lavin (William Phibbs) P Aghanagh T Corradoo East
John Lavin (Thomas Nott) P Drumrat T Linconwy
John Lavin (Thomas Nott) P Drumrat T Listrush
John Lavin (WILLIAM FARRELL) Emlaghfad T Carrigans Lower
John Lavin ( Julia Cogan) P Kilmacallan T Corlisheen
John Lavin (Richard Fleming) P Kilmacallan T Drumdoney
John Lavin (William Phibbs) P Toomour T Dernaskeagh

There was a James Lavin in the town of Sligo who circulated a William
Smith O'Brien Petition in October of 1848

I don't know if you are familiar with the Elphin Census of 1749,but
there are two John Lavins
in Sligo and they both are in AGHANAGH parish......they were papists!
One was in "Coraducy"
(which I suspect is Corradoo above in 1858). He was a laborer. The
other was a sheperd,
and he was in Trinescrabba. So despite that tempting Farrell in
Emlaghfad Parish, your Lavins
may well be from Aghanagh.
This Elphin Census was a census conducted in the Diocese of Elphin in
1749 by Bishop Edward Synge.
13 parishes in Sligo were included.

I'm not familiar with the parish records for Sligo. Are you on the
Sligo board, too?

Nan
P.S. One of my closest friends is a Lavin, originally from
Bridgeport, and she knows nothing
about her Irish origins, so I am always curious about the "Lavin" name.