From: Nan Brennan <>
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Irish Bridgade ---Chicago Ambulance Corp etc
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 01:22:14 -0600

Bill,

That's terrific that you were able to obtain those citations from John.

I'm assuming they may not have included the Chicago Tribune?
There are 100s of articles in the Chicago Tribune on related subjects.
300 articles on the Irish Brigade just in the years 1861 and 1862.

Here's an example of some from a later period---during the Boer War

Chicago Tribune, Aug 24, 1902 page 16
Picnic For Ambulance Corps
Irish-Americans to have an outing at Oswald's Grove to Raise Money
For Chicagoans in Africa. (very long article)

The corp in this article is called the "Irish-American-Boer Ambulance
Association of Chicago"
Capt John J Quinn was president. Some of the names mentioned (of
soldiers waiting to be
brought home from Johannesburg): James Jeffries, Michael Halley,
Jerry O'Leary,
Peter O'Hara, George Wilson, Earnest Criss, Louis Rupprecht, Joseph
Wade, James French,
Joseph Kennedy, John McGlew.

Chicago TribuneFeb 11, 1900page 13
IRISH CORPS OFF TODAY
HOSPITAL FORCE FOR BOER ARMY TO START AT 10AM

Chicago TribuneNov 17, 1900 page 1 (continues on several pages)
IRISH VALOR IN TRANSVAAL WAR
CHicago Ambulance Corp Tell of Their Five Months' Campaign in Africa

Very long article about their return to New York. Many stories of
numerous battles, etc.

Some Chicago members listed in this article:
John Duff, Daniel McHugh, John Costello, Patrick Carroll (341 W
Adams), John Quinn (124 E Ohio), James Coyne,
(Daniel McHugh was captured), John Walsh (317 Jackson) Dr AF Conroy
(captured), Dr J.R. McNamara, Dr Jeremiah Slattery,
Dr H.H. McAuley, Dr Ross, T. Long.

Casualties of the Corp mentioned: Edward Eagan of Chicago, killed at
Thaba 'nchu
MICHAEL O'HARA of Holyoke Mass, killed at Watervalonder; John J
Reilly of Chicago, wounded
at Thaba'Nchu and sent to St Helena. Prisoners: Michael Hearn and
John Dougherty of Holyoke
Mass and Joseph Hill of Chicago....all sent to Ceylon.

Others from Chicago:Thomas Naughton, Richard Cahill, Fred Verslius,
Rudolph Linsehoter
Daniel m. Daly, Captain Patrick O'Connor, Hubert O'Hara (863 Girard
St), William Hurley (1148 47thPL)

Have you already read alot of the Tribune stories?

Nan