Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] That Corrigan Man---our lunch at Irish Bistro
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 06:40:27 -0500

Nan,

I had a great time on Sunday!  It was wonderful to finally meet you and some of the other listers and put faces to your online personalities.  We had some great talks at lunch, found some common ground between us (other than our love of all things Irish!) and shared some genealogy stories.  Coincidentally, a few of us who are nurses ended up sitting w/ each other.  And Donna and I found out we live blocks from each other and drove home together.

I really enjoyed the restaurant, my brunch skillet was very good.  I have told several people at work about Murphy's and do plan on returning.

As for John Corrigan, couldn't you just listen to him talk all day?  Watching him as he spoke, you just knew he had so many stories and so much history at his disposal.  It was fascinating.  I didn't know anything about Frs. Dorney and Crowley, but their place in Chicago Irish history intrigues me, and I plan to find out more.  The bonus was receiving the Sceals.  I felt honored to receive them!

I have not traced any of my ancestors back to parishes in Ireland; I only know the Counties.  So I have neither the experience nor the expertise that so many of our fellow listers do.  Still, I found that our experiences were quite varied and that all were welcomed.  To my fellow listers who may be hesitant to join an outing like this, come.  You will enjoy it and will learn something new!

As you can all tell, I had a wonderful time.

Ellen McQuillan Zagozdon