From: Beth Walsh <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] General Records Office in Dublin
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 15:27:29 -0800 (PST)

Thanks Mary Ellen,
That is useful information if one wants to apply by mail.

The move to Roscommon did take place a few years ago, but the offices were still open on Lombard St for on-site requests.
I believe the move from Lombard St to Lower Abbey St was much more recently. It would be quite maddening to have walked over there and find the office had just moved. Two of my Dublin contacts were quite surprised anyway. As I didn't do any research this time while in Dublin this past summer, I wasn't aware if it was still there then or not.
At the very least, that has to be an improvement over the Lombard St location (except for LS's proximity to the DART station).

Anyway, it was just in case someone wanted to make a request while in Dublin.

Beth

Mary Ellen Chambers <> wrote:
Beth,
I think the move took place a few years ago. If one wants to purchase a civil record, post 1864 from the GRO it can be done on line. The records for all of the Republic are now in County Roscommon. If one does this on line and from this main office, a credit card can be used. If the regional county office is used Euros or their equivalent are necessary. GOOGLE General Records Office County Rosscommon. CLICK on the birth records at the far RIGHT of the tool bar. It will take you to the instructions, cost, and form one must use. Download the form, fill in the info required with credit card number and mail or Fax. I use the mail because I don't know what security is around the Fax machine for my cc number. The turn around is 6 - 8 weeks for USA delivery. I believe the last one I got with the conversion was about $14.
Birth certificates have the name of the parents and their occupation, who notified the birth and the address of the parents.
Marriage certificate has the name of the Bride and Groom, their occupations, the names of the father's and their occupations. Also the address of the Bride and Groom at the time of the marriage.
Death certificate has the cause, the address at the time of death and who made the official notification.
Birth notification carried a penalty if not done but marriage and death did not. Therefore, on occasion you might not find a record for these two events. Then for marriage you would have to find the church for the sacramental record. Death if not on civil record is very difficult to track even from the churches and that is true for all religions.
The required form will give you an idea if you have enough data to request a certificate. One form for each request.

Mary Ellen Chambers
Lakewood, OH

This thread: