From: Mary Ellen Chambers <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] General Records Office in Dublin
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 13:36:09 -0800 (PST)

Beth,
I think the move took place a few years ago. If one wants to purchase a civil record, post 1864 from the GRO it can be done on line. The records for all of the Republic are now in County Roscommon. If one does this on line and from this main office, a credit card can be used. If the regional county office is used Euros or their equivalent are necessary. GOOGLE General Records Office County Rosscommon. CLICK on the birth records at the far RIGHT of the tool bar. It will take you to the instructions, cost, and form one must use. Download the form, fill in the info required with credit card number and mail or Fax. I use the mail because I don't know what security is around the Fax machine for my cc number. The turn around is 6 - 8 weeks for USA delivery. I believe the last one I got with the conversion was about $14.
Birth certificates have the name of the parents and their occupation, who notified the birth and the address of the parents.
Marriage certificate has the name of the Bride and Groom, their occupations, the names of the father's and their occupations. Also the address of the Bride and Groom at the time of the marriage.
Death certificate has the cause, the address at the time of death and who made the official notification.
Birth notification carried a penalty if not done but marriage and death did not. Therefore, on occasion you might not find a record for these two events. Then for marriage you would have to find the church for the sacramental record. Death if not on civil record is very difficult to track even from the churches and that is true for all religions.
The required form will give you an idea if you have enough data to request a certificate. One form for each request.

Mary Ellen Chambers
Lakewood, OH

Beth Walsh <> wrote:
I tried to forward a message to the list (please note I was not the author)and it was waiting for admin approval. Probably because it was a forwarded message - at least that's what I would imagine would be the reason for the delay. Although it does not pertain directly to Chicago research, it would be useful information to those of us trying to trace our Irish- born ancestors. Which raises a question - just out of curiosity - Is there an administrator for this list? I'm on so many that I lose track !

Beth

Anyway, I cancelled it and rewrote this message and here's the text below:

Anybody planning a visit to the General Records Office in Dublin
should note that it's moved from Joyce House, Lombard Street East , as
I discovered yesterday afte a long walk in the rain! It's now in very
smart new offices not far from O'Connell Street :

Floor 3, Block 7
Irish Life Centre
Lower Abbey Street
Dublin