IRISH-IN-CHICAGO-L Archives

Archiver > IRISH-IN-CHICAGO > 2008-01 > 1200436607

From: Judith Mason <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] divorce records cook county
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 14:36:47 -0800 (PST)
In-Reply-To: <A7F8E18F-2021-413E-B854-74B7E368157E@mindspring.com>

Not easy to answer this one! Yes, the index is chronological and alphabetical, sorta! Because of the indexing system used, for an "A" surname, one must look through the entire "A" index. Sometimes it's a detailed alpa list, sometimes not.

Judie

Nan Brennan <> wrote:
That's a good question, Joyce.

Is the index completely chronological? by year and by date within year?
Or alpha within year?

Nan

On Jan 15, 2008, at 10:01 AM, Joyce Hennessy wrote:

> Hi Judie,
> All kinds of good things on the list this morning - Can you look at
> the
> index for a name - I am interested in finding a divorce record for
> a late
> uncle, but do not have any idea as to the date - I do know it was
> between
> 1930 and 1940 - on the 1930 census with first wife and as I was
> born in the
> mid 30's I just knew his 2nd wife. Thanks so much.
> Joyce Hennessy
> -----Original Message-----
> From:
> [mailto:] On Behalf Of Judith
> Mason
> Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 6:57 AM
> Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Colleen Flood and divorce records
> Hi Nan,
> Divorce records are at the Cook County Circuit Court Archives. The
> archivists will do the work for you for a fee, but I went to the
> archives at
> the Daley Center, located the name in the index and filled out the
> form for
> the records to be brought in from an off site storage area. There's
> approximately a week to get the records.
> Judie
> Nan Brennan wrote:
> Hi Judie,
> "I'm all ears" on this thread o1930 n divorce records.
> I have one very elusive gUncle and I think If he got divorced ( I
> found a legal notice
> in the Tribune 1910 that might be him), obtaining the divorce records
> could be very helpful (and revealing!)
> Could you take us through this step by step? I don't know where to
> begin.
> Nan
> On Jan 14, 2008, at 10:47 PM, Judith Mason wrote:
>> Hello Everyone,
>> I received a Cook County divorce document dated about
>> 1890.........WOW! I can't begin to tell you the information
>> contained in this document. Another received dated c. 1900....same
>> thing, more information than I believed possible to obtain from any
>> Cook County document!
>> Got a divorce, possible divorce in your family? Go for it!
>> Whatever you must pay these days will be well worth it.
>> Judie Mason
>> Chicago
>> Beth Walsh wrote:
>> Colleen,
>> Have you tried obtaining the divorce decree and the supplementary
>> paperwork from the case? I got one from 1878 and it was amazing
>> what all was included. This was quite a few years ago though, so
>> I'm not sure what the procedure would be today. I actually looked
>> thru the giant sized ledgers that were just inside the door in the
>> Circuit Court office to get the case number - but I think there is
>> a totally different procedure now - that was in 1983!
>> Also, do you have your father's birth certificate (if there was one
>> filed)?
>> Beth
>> Colleen Flood wrote:
>> Vivian Flood doesn't ring a bell for me. I'm originally from the
>> south side 31st and Canal When my parents divorced I was 9 years
>> old and my Mother took all six of us kids to live on the North side
>> where I've remained for my 63 years.
>> My Grand Father that I've been trying to look for information on is
>> Thomas Michael Flood
>> Once married to our Grand Mother Della ( Delia) T. Fox she is from
>> Carnmore in Galway Ireland
>> He is also from Ireland but we don't know where.
>> His last known address was 361 W. Superior. That was before they
>> divorced in 1915 His line of work was excavating
>> There is an excavator on North Kedzie with the name of Flood but
>> when I requested any information from him he just said he wasn't
>> related to us.
>> So that's as much as I know after he and my Grand Mother divorced I
>> know he lived in Chicago but I don't know where
>> My Father is Thomas Joseph Flood Birth May 1903 died 1980
>> Colleen
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-IN-
>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
>> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-IN-
>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
>> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> with the word 'unsubscribe'
> without
> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> with the word 'unsubscribe'
> without
> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-IN-
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message

To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message