From: patricia meyers <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Cook County volunteer program naturalizationtranscriptions
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 18:38:15 -0800 (PST)

Nan, I've been looking at the booklet that Lois gave me and I'm not sure exactly what this data entry program is. I've seen a sample of the screen but the project seems to be an Indexing and Microfilming Project via a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission. I don't know if they are part of the NARA...all these bureacracies baffle me.

This project will create an index of the Declarations of Intention because declarations have been filed in both the Circuit and Superior Courts and the current system is haphazard at best. The data entry screen reflects either the Circuit Court or the Superior Court and further keying will give the volume and page number. Then declaration information is entered. So I don't know if all this is for the index, the document or both. Unclear to me.

I'll know more later and will pass it on. The information being keyed in includes the birth city and country, date of arrival, port of departure, name, occupation, birth date, current address....all the stuff we all want to know. But I don't know if that shows up on the index itself....I'll have to ask.

Patti