IRISH-IN-CHICAGO-L Archives

Archiver > IRISH-IN-CHICAGO > 2008-01 > 1200269032

From: Nan Brennan <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Indenturement
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 18:03:52 -0600
References: <C3AEFFE2.4814%cathsherry@mac.com><F1E2777C-FF52-4856-9071-A57C84E6FF7B@mindspring.com><BAY144-W4039D0FB883CC9A98732E2C9450@phx.gbl><BAY144-W115A32CB33B9B90F595498C9450@phx.gbl>
In-Reply-To: <BAY144-W115A32CB33B9B90F595498C9450@phx.gbl>

I was thinking the same thing, Annette and Cathy.

Sometimes successive organizations in this case the Chicago Child
Çare Society, will either have someone who is knowlegeable of the
history,
including the records. It's worth the contact. Co-incidentally I
was in Hyde Park today and drove right past there and thought of you.

Nan

On Jan 13, 2008, at 2:36 PM, amdo wrote:

> Cathy, I had one other thought. Perhaps if you contact the The
> Chicago Child Care Society, formerly the Chicago Orphan Asylum,
> they may be able to direct you to some type of records archives.
> http://cccsociety.org/contact_us_cont.html
> Annette
>> From: > To: > Date:
>> Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:06:53 -0600> Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO]
>> Indenturement> > > Although it's been several years, I have used
>> the Northeastern Illinois University IRAD to obtain coroner's
>> reports, and had great service from them. I received the reports
>> in a matter of days and all they requested in return was $1.00, I
>> believe per report, to be sent upon receipt of forms, to cover
>> their costs. > > I'm beginning to research orphanages myself,
>> Cathy, and will keep you in mind if I come across indenturement
>> information. > > Annette> > > From: >
>> Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 22:55:19 -0600> To: irish-in-
>> > Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO]
>> Indenturement> > Cathy,> > I keep running in to references to
>> these two books, so maybe I'm > supposed to pass them on to you:>
>> > Cmiel, Kenneth. A Home of Another Kind: One Chicago Orphanage
>> and the > Tangle of Child Welfare. 1995.> McCausland, Clare L.
>> Children of Circumstance: A History of the First > 125 Years of
>> the Chicago Child Care Society. 1976.> > Nan> > On Jan 12, 2008,
>> at 10:38 PM, Catherine Sherry wrote:> > > Nan,> >> > I have not
>> tried IRAD records, but then I've never requested > > anything
>> from> > IRAD. I've searched the site frequently, and obtained
>> confirmation > > of some> > records I have already.> >> > Cathy>
>> >> >> > On 1/12/08 11:16 PM, "Nan Brennan"
>> <> wrote:> >> >> Cathy,> >>> >> Did you
>> ever check the IRAD holdings for Cook County?> >> Is there anyone
>> on the list who has some expertise with IRAD?> >> I've obtained a
>> few records by mail, and service was good--at> >> two different
>> facilities. But they were pretty simple requests,> >> one was an
>> inquest record and I forget what the others were.> >>> >> Nan> >>>
>> >> On Jan 12, 2008, at 10:00 PM, Catherine Sherry wrote:> >>> >>>
>> Is anyone familiar with indenturement records and where they may
>> be> >>> obtained? My gg-grandmother (Ella Butler) and her siblings
>> were> >>> placed in> >>> the Chicago Orphan Asylum in 1850 after
>> their parents died in the> >>> cholera> >>> epidemic. She was then
>> indentured to (adopted by) a new family.> >>> Indenturement was
>> used before formal adoption became the norm. I> >>> have a copy>
>> >>> of Ella’s indenturement paper, but it is almost unreadable
>> now. My> >>> sister> >>> believes she obtained it in about 1980,
>> but cannot remember from> >>> where.> >>> We’ve had no luck trying
>> to get another copy.> >>>> >>> Clues please??!> >>>> >>> Cathy>
>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>> -------------------------------> >>> To
>> unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-IN-> >>>
>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without>
>> >>> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message> >>> >>>
>> the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the
>> body of the message
> _________________________________________________________________
> Watch “Cause Effect,” a show about real people making a real
> difference.
> http://im.live.com/Messenger/IM/MTV/?source=text_watchcause
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-IN-
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message