IRISH-IN-CHICAGO-L Archives

Archiver > IRISH-IN-CHICAGO > 2008-01 > 1200254091


From: Catherine Sherry <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Indenturement
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:54:51 -0500
In-Reply-To: <F1E2777C-FF52-4856-9071-A57C84E6FF7B@mindspring.com>


Thank you Nan! I'll look into these books.


On 1/12/08 11:55 PM, "Nan Brennan" <> wrote:

> Cathy,
>
> I keep running in to references to these two books, so maybe I'm
> supposed to pass them on to you:
>
> Cmiel, Kenneth. A Home of Another Kind: One Chicago Orphanage and the
> Tangle of Child Welfare. 1995.
> McCausland, Clare L. Children of Circumstance: A History of the First
> 125 Years of the Chicago Child Care Society. 1976.
>
> Nan
>
> On Jan 12, 2008, at 10:38 PM, Catherine Sherry wrote:
>
>> Nan,
>>
>> I have not tried IRAD records, but then I've never requested
>> anything from
>> IRAD. I've searched the site frequently, and obtained confirmation
>> of some
>> records I have already.
>>
>> Cathy
>>
>>
>> On 1/12/08 11:16 PM, "Nan Brennan" <> wrote:
>>
>>> Cathy,
>>>
>>> Did you ever check the IRAD holdings for Cook County?
>>> Is there anyone on the list who has some expertise with IRAD?
>>> I've obtained a few records by mail, and service was good--at
>>> two different facilities. But they were pretty simple requests,
>>> one was an inquest record and I forget what the others were.
>>>
>>> Nan
>>>
>>> On Jan 12, 2008, at 10:00 PM, Catherine Sherry wrote:
>>>
>>>> Is anyone familiar with indenturement records and where they may be
>>>> obtained? My gg-grandmother (Ella Butler) and her siblings were
>>>> placed in
>>>> the Chicago Orphan Asylum in 1850 after their parents died in the
>>>> cholera
>>>> epidemic. She was then indentured to (adopted by) a new family.
>>>> Indenturement was used before formal adoption became the norm. I
>>>> have a copy
>>>> of Ella¹s indenturement paper, but it is almost unreadable now. My
>>>> sister
>>>> believes she obtained it in about 1980, but cannot remember from
>>>> where.
>>>> We¹ve had no luck trying to get another copy.
>>>>
>>>> Clues please??!
>>>>
>>>> Cathy
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> -------------------------------
>>>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-IN-
>>>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
>>>> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> -------------------------------
>>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>>> with the word 'unsubscribe'
>>> without the
>>> quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>>
>> --
>>
>> Go Cats!
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-IN-
>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
>> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>
>
>
> -------------------------------
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
> quotes in the subject and the body of the message

--

Go Cats!




This thread: