From: Catherine Sherry <>
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Indenturement
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 23:00:53 -0500

Is anyone familiar with indenturement records and where they may be
obtained? My gg-grandmother (Ella Butler) and her siblings were placed in
the Chicago Orphan Asylum in 1850 after their parents died in the cholera
epidemic. She was then indentured to (adopted by) a new family.
Indenturement was used before formal adoption became the norm. I have a copy
of Ella¹s indenturement paper, but it is almost unreadable now. My sister
believes she obtained it in about 1980, but cannot remember from where.
We¹ve had no luck trying to get another copy.

Clues please??!

Cathy

This thread: