From: Nan Brennan <>
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Canavan in Chicago
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 00:54:00 -0600

Hi Merril,
I found a few stray Canavan marriages in Chicago.
I don't know if any of them were yours....although I hope so!
Do you think your Canavans might have been in Kankakee Illinois first,
before they came to Chicago? What is your time frame for when
they arrived in Chicago?

Nan

Chicago Tribune Marriage Notices

Dec 25, 1881
Austin A. Canavan-29? to Emma E. Valliquette-23

According to the 1900 census he was born in Penns. parents born
Ireland.
In 1860 he was, age 10, in Ganeer (Kankakee Co) Illinois, near
Momence IL. His father was farming there.
Other siblings were James, John, Anthony, Mary, Patrick Thomas and
Catherine.
I think his aunt and uncle lived on the neighboring farm with his
then (1860) widowed grandmother, Catherine
age 70. According to the 1860 census, children James, John, Anthony
and Mary were born in Ireland.
Austin Patrick and Thomas were born in Penn. and Catherine age 1
born In Illinois. So they emigrated
to Illinois from PA about 1858-59.

In 1888, Austin was living at 4512 Indiana Ave. He and Emma were at
that same address in 1900.
He was a lawyer. He was struck by a car and killed in Aug 1917
(obit Aug 23 and 24). He had
been educated at Yale, practiced law in Chicago for 45 years.
Offices 25 No Dearborn.
Funeral Services at St Elizabeth's church 41st and Wabash. Buried at
Calvary.
Emma survived him. No children.
They still resided at 4512 Indiana Ave at the time of his death.
Siblings: John, Thomas, Mary McNulty, Mrs WW Parish Jr. Mrs Ellen
F. Bowe, Mrs Margaret E Casey
and the late James and Patrick.

Emma died Feb 27, 1937. She was living at the Hayes hotel 64th and
University. Funeral Mass
St Clara's church, Interment Calvary.

Feb 1 1891
John Canavan-23 to Mary McNally-20