From: Nan Brennan <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Sceal Chicago site - Bishop O'Regan mention
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 01:46:57 -0600

Jim,

There are 230 articles in the Tribune on Chiniquy from about 1856
thru the 1880s.
There seemed to be an anti Catholic bias on the Tribune's part. It
seems there was
anti-Irish sentiment on Chiniquy's part,too.

I thought you would find this one of interest:

Notice it's 1889, many years later:

April 5, 1889.

FATHER CHINIQUY'S STORY DISCREDITED
A Canadian MP Gives His Reasons for Believing It Untrue

Ottawa Ont April 4 (Special)
F. Bechard, member of Parliament for Iberville,
throws some serious doubts upon Father Chiniquy's statement
that Abraham Lincoln was assassinated by he hireling of a Jesuit
conspiracy.
Mr Bechard was the French interpreter in the libel suit which Father
Chiniquy
was defended by Abraham Lincoln. It was an action in Illinois in 1856
by one Spink against Father Chiniquy, who had in the course of a lecture
charged Spink with committing perjury at a trial instituted by his
son-in-law
Dr Gauthier, for payment for professional services.

Mr. Bechard says that not only were the Jesuits not parties to the
trial,
but that they were not seen about the courtroom, nor were there any
in that portion of the country.