From: Jim Mullany <>
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Sceal Chicago site - Bishop O'Regan mention
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 07:49:01 -0800 (PST)

Yes, Nan thanks so much for pointing us toward this site! It bears watching as it develops, to be sure.

The Chicago Irish chronology mentions in 1854 the purchase by Bishop Anthony O'Regan of land in Evanston for the Calvary Cemetery. Biographies of Bishop O'Regan differ as to whether he was from Ballyhaunis or Levalleyroe, Co. Mayo and I've never seen any Co. Mayo confirmation of this.

The controversial Bishop O'Regan was the uncle of my gg-grandfather, Thomas O'Regan. Thomas married Adelia Cornwall (from Co. Roscommon) and homesteaded way on the Iowa prairie about the time of Bishop O'Regan's reluctant installation in Chicago by the pope.

Does anyone know of an objective source for the history of Bishop O'Regan's raucous but short stay as 3rd Bishop of Chicago? I have contacted the diocese but they have very little written on him. They did supply a nice photo of the official portrait of Bishop O'Regan (he looks a lot like my father!).

I have heard, secondhand, about Bishop O'Regan's legal battle against Father Charles Chiniquy involving a young Illinois lawyer named Abraham Lincoln. I have never seen a significant rebuttal to Chiniquy's voluminous personal and weirdly conspiratorial book connecting O'Regan with the assassination of President Lincoln, but I very much would like to. It sounds like a fascinating time in Chicago history.

Anyway, Happy Holidays to everyone on the list and thanks for keeping the discussion so lively and interesting!

Jim Mullany
Sandia Park, New Mexico

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

This thread: