From: Judith Mason <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Ronan/Hayden/Keegan
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 19:20:54 -0800 (PST)

I have some limited information for the following KEEGAN from his June 1971 obituary.......

John [Humpy] Keegan, fond son of the late Marge Keegan; dear brother of the late Katherine [Kitty] Conray; very dear friend of Louis and Marianne Marinacci.

Judie Mason
Chiago

wrote:
Is anyone on the list connected with Chicago Ronans, Haydens, or Keegans?

These families would have come from Co. Carlow, Wicklow, or Wexford
somewhere between 1850 and 1890.

Hayden, Pierce - came from Ireland around 1850 - 1860. He married Mary Gaul
who came to Chicago around 1855 to 1860. I found them in the 1860 St. Mary
parish book as baptismal sponsors in 1860.

Keegan - I know very little about them, or when they came to Chicago. I
think that a Michael Keegan married a Catherine Hickey ( my ggrandmother's
sister ) in Co. Carlow around Kilbride, Clonegal. They may not have come to
Chicago, but at least one of their children did. The childrens' names were:
Alicia, Catherind, Charles, Margaret. I know of a Kate Keegan who was a cousin
(?) of my grandfather, John Gaul.

Ronan - a predecessor of my relatives was Ensign George Ronan who was killed
at the Ft. Dearborn Massacre in 1812. Thomas J., a descendent of his. was
born in Co. Wexford and married Elizabeth Hickey (my ggreatgrandmother's first
cousin). I think they may have been married in Ireland. I am not sure.

I have a lot of misc info here from censuses and cemetery records, death
notices etc., but there is still much I am missing. If anyone on the list has
relatives from these families, I would love to hear from you. The family that
I have the least info on is Keegan. I still cannot find a positive
connection to my Gaul/Hickey families, but I know they are related somehow.

Maureen N