Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Irish to Cleveland
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 10:50:40 EST

In a message dated 12/6/2007 3:12:48 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

It's interesting to me that so many of the Newport Irish emigrated to
Cleveland OR Chicago.
I wonder what / who was the incentive for these 2 cities. Even my grandm
other first went to Cleveland to her aunt before settling here in the
Chicago
area. Wish I could go back in time and be a "fly on the wall"

The Irish went to Cleveland to work on digging out the Cuyahoga River and
canals. They also went to Indianapolis for the same reason - canal work.

Denise
Editor, The Irish Everywhere Newsletter
(resurrecting and publishing in December)
_www.irish-everywhere.com_ (http://www.irish-everywhere.com)

products.