From: Mary Ellen Chambers <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] What about the Archdiocese archives?
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 07:48:21 -0800 (PST)

CHAMBERS is my marriage name. My husband's CHAMBERS are from Ardmore/Clashmore area of County Waterford. His g grandfather John CHAMBERS walked up the road to the Ballyduff area of Lismore Parish. He married Anastasia LYNCH at Mocollop Church in 1836. They emigrated in 1846 to the Boston area. Doubt that the famine was the main reason. Migrated down to Washington County and became a C&O boatman on the canal.
My roots are Mayo mainly. The surnames are FADDEN/FADIAN/FAGIN/MCFADDEN, ROONEY, ROONEY. FRIEL and COONEY. The MCFADDEN line still resides there outside of Westport on R 335 at the homeplace which the farmed pre Griffiths Valuation. The ROONEY line had some who emigrated to the Chicago area but the Chicago - Cleveland link broke in the 1940s. Probably D/T the war and the deaths of the original emigrants.
The majority of the CHAMBERS in the greater CLEVELAND area are from Newport. My now adult children went to school and hung out with them for years. The discussion on many a night at CHAMBERS Public House has been, "We must be related! Somehow!".
I have a lovely picture of a gravestone which is a large black marble open book. It was placed on the grave of a Mary CHAMBERS, in gold lettering it states
MARY A Women
CHAMBERS Substance
Died 22/12/91 Was She
Late of Ardagh What she like
Carrowbeg Newport Most Was An
Aged 84 Years Oul Chat And
Erected by A Good Cup
Niece Nuala Of Tea

It was in the cemetery, ( can't recall the name) but it is the one where Burrishoole Abby is out the Newport Road. We do a lot photography when we are "home" and couldn't resist this memorial.

Mary Ellen Chambers
Lakewood, OH
wrote:
I saw your posting about Cleveland and was curious about your ancestors.
Did they originate in County Mayo? Newport?

My maternal great grandmother was Mary Chambers.
Just wondering.

Nancy Etzkorn
Lisle, IL