From: Nan Brennan <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] January Lunch in Chicago
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 20:15:18 -0600

Do you think we might be able to have a staff member available to
talk to us?
Are we talking about an independent tour of the entire facility, or
going to the Research Center?

The restaurant is nice, it's run by Wolfgang Puck now.
Parking is convenient, right across the street (north) on Lasalle/
Stockton.
It's pretty easy to reach by bus, too

> The Museum is easy to reach via public transportation. CTA buses
> 11, 22, 36, 72, 73, 151, and 156 stop nearby. The Brown Line
> Sedgwick station and Red Line Clark/Division station are also
> located approximately one half-mile from the Museum.
It used to be five dollars to park there--ooops I see it up to $9 now.

Nan

Here's what's available in family research at CHM:
http://www.chicagohistory.org/research/resources/family

The Research Center has a number of resources that can help in
researching Chicago family history, although we do not collect
standard genealogical sources. The Newberry Library and the National
Archives and Records Administration – Great Lakes Region, can also
assist in your search.

Directories

We have a complete collection of Chicago city and telephone
directories, dating from 1839 to the present. A searchable database
for the years 1844, 1851, 1859-68, 1871, 1873, 1881, 1890, 1910, and
1917 is available in the Research Center.

We have suburban telephone directories for 1920-1971 as well as
scattered holdings between 1978 and 1996.

We have Chicago criss-cross directories for 1928, 1950, 1952, 1953
and 1978 to the present. You can consult the 1928 criss-cross
directory on our website. We also have a few suburban criss-cross
directories.

The Chicago Blue Book (1890-1916) serves as a directory of the more
prominent citizens of the city, with entries organized both by name
and by location.

Address Conversion Guides

When doing research on past addresses, it is important to remember
that in 1909 part of the Chicago street numbering system was altered.
In addition, over time, many Chicago street names have been changed.
Guides to street numbering and street name changes are available in
the Research Center or on our Architecture and Building History page.

Newspapers

We have Chicago Tribune and Chicago Defender databases available in
the Research Center with full page and article images and searchable
text.

The Research Center has an extensive collection of Chicago
newspapers. Search our online catalog for specific holdings.

> Search the catalog

We have newspaper clipping files covering Chicagoans active from the
1940s to the late 1980s as well as more notable Chicagoans from
earlier years. We also have clippings on businesses, community areas,
streets, and churches.

Additional Resources

The following additional resources may prove helpful in your research:

Biographical entries in the card catalog (usually limited to birth
and death dates and occupation)
Biographical dictionaries
Yearbooks from Chicago high schools and professional schools
Church publications, particularly histories of individual congregations
Material on Chicago businesses, such as trade catalogs and
anniversary publications
Material on Chicago neighborhoods, such as newspaper clipping files,
photographs, published histories, fire insurance maps, and
neighborhood newspapers
Resources for researching the history of Chicago homes or buildings
Staff Assistance

Research Center staff will assist you during your visit. Staff can
provide limited assistance by e-mail and telephone. For searches too
extensive for staff to undertake, patrons may wish to hire a
freelance researcher.