From: amdo <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] The New World obits
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 11:23:05 -0600

Thanks, everyone, for the info you posted on The New World. It's great to know of alternative locations for this newspaper; I was wondering about that, since access at the Archives seems limited, as described below. I will check out DePaul University. Has anyone found microfilms in any other locations?

I was in Chicago this past Columbus day, but not realizing it was a holiday, headed straight for the Archdiocese archives hoping to make some great discoveries. The security guard there told me the archives dept. was closed for the day, and informed me if I wanted to use the archives, I should call in advance and make an appointment with an archivist, who would pull the microfilms for me. Otherwise, they may be too busy working with someone else to assist me. Has anyone found that this would be the best approach?

He further advised it would expedite things if I tell the archivist in advance which dates I'm interested in researching, so they can have those films ready for me upon arrival. It sounds like good advice, since the hours for use seem fairly limited:

Contact for research purposes: Assistant Research Archivist: Tel: (312) 831-0711, ext.728
Hours for the Center are Monday to Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 4:45 p.m.Reading Room is open for researchers and the public from 9:30 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.and from 1:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. Closed for holidays and Holy Days.

Thanks again for the info. It was very helpful.

Annette