From: amdo <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] New Lister Surname Interests - Kavanaugh
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 01:28:43 -0600

Hi Maureen,

My great-grandmother, Anastatia Kavanagh, came from County Kilkenny. She was born ca 1855, immigrated to Chicago around 1875 (I found her on the ship list but can't recall the exact year off-hand). She married Michael Doran at St. Columbkille, in 1876, and a woman named Anne Kavanagh was a witness. John McNamara was also a witness. I found both these names w/Anastatia's on the ship list.

The only other related name I have found so far is Mary Cavanagh, a baptism sponsor at Nativity Church, in 1880, and also again, spelled Mary Cavanaugh, in 1884. I don't yet know if Cavanagh is Mary's birth name or married name. Anastatia's birth name was also spelled with a C on these same records, but the family spelled it Kavanagh. I have yet to find the oldest child's baptism record, ca 1877, so I'm still hoping to find more Kavanaghs on his record. Either they still lived in St. Columbkille parish at this time, or they moved to the 4000 block Butterfield by now. I couldn't find their son's baptism record at St. Columbkille.

Right now, I'm searching for records that might reveal Anastatia's parents' names. They weren't on her death certificate or her Chicago Tribune article and obituary; she died in April 1908. Her obituary recorded her name as Anna Doran, so I assume she went by the name, Anna, too. I'm hoping to find more detailed information in the New World newspaper, or possibly some other Chicago newspapers. At the time of her death, she lived in St. Gabriel parish.

I hope this is of some help. Do you see any matches?

Annette