From: "Boydstun" <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Travel between Chicago and Elgin Ill
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:47:07 -0600

Hi,

I have a question for some historian. How likely would it have been that in
1850 or so someone living in Elgin, Illinois could have met and married
someone living in Chicago? Were there roads, railroads, or waterways that
would have made travel not so difficult?

I find the following family living in Kane Co. Ill in 1850. It is the only
Hennessy family in the area that has as any similarities to the things I
know about my Hennessys:
I know my great grandmother, Johanna Hennessy's father was named Patrick.
She had an older brother named Patrick.
She was 17 in that census and so was my great grandfather, Edward L. Powell.
In later censuses they were the same age.
Also, in 1848 on the Ship Laurel, Edward Powell and part of his family and
some friends immigrated from Ireland. On that ship was coincidentally a
young man named Michael Hennessy.

1850 United States Federal Census Elgin, Kane, Illinois

Name: Patrick Hennessy;

Age: 60;

Estimated birth year: abt 1790;

Birth Place: Ireland;

Gender: Male;

Home in 1850(City,County,State): Elgin, Kane, Illinois;

Household Members:

/485 Patrick Hennessy 60 M, Farmer, Ireland;

Margaret Hennessy, 56, F, Ireland;

Patrick Hennessy, 30, M, Laborer, Ireland;

Michael Hennessy, 21 M, Laborer, Ireland;

John Hennessy, 19, M, Laborer, Ireland;

Johanna Hennessy, 17, F, Ireland;

Thank you for your expertise on Chicago and surrounding areas.

Alice Lynne Boydstun

This thread: