From: amdo <>
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Comments on Nativity Church records
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 00:30:04 -0600

From: : : RE: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Comments on Nativity Church recordsDate: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 00:20:29 -0600

Hi Nan, Thanks for welcoming me to the board! It's a wonderful resource, and everyone's so helpful. I will definitely have questions to ask. One thing I've been wondering is whether "The New World" has obituaries for lay people, and if so, are parents' names and/or town of origin ever mentioned? In addition, is it easy to obtain access to "The New World"? The main family names I am researching in Chicago records include Donovan, O'Meara, Doran, Kavanagh (also found spelled Cavanagh, etc), McGrath (aka McGraw), Connelly (also found spelled Connolly, Conley), and Cotton (from Ireland). They all arrived in Chicago circa 1871 to 1886. Regarding your question about Nativity parish, I have done much research over the years using various LDS resources for both Ireland and Chicago, and in the Chicago church records, I found each set of great-grandparents in no fewer than 3 parishes apiece. The parishes I have discovered them in so far include Old St. Patrick, Holy Family, St. James, St. Columbkille, Nativity, St. Gabriel, St. Rose of Lima, St. Basil, and Visitation. Since I still need to find a few more baptism records, I suspect I will locate them in yet a few more parishes before I'm done. I, myself, went to St. Ethelreda, and have fond memories of my years there. And I loved the tabletop jukeboxes at Melody Lane! Well, Nan, I do have a question about a family member in particular, but I need to first review a few recent postings that may help me phrase my question. In the meantime, thanks again, for your email! Annette > From: > Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Comments on Nativity Church records> Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 05:29:02 -0600> To: ; > > HI Annette,> > Welcome to our Irish in Chicago board! And thank you for your input > on the films.> > Please let us know more about your surname interests, parishes, > dates, etc.> Were all of your great-grandparents in Nativity?> It sounds like you have done much successful research and are well- > schooled in the use of LDS resources.> > You mentioned Beverly theatre and Melody Lane---I have many happy > memories of both of those venues!> Did you live near there? Were you in Margaret of Scotland or Ethelreda?> > Tell us more and let us know if we can help you with anything.> > Nan> > > >
Share life as it happens with the new Windows Live.Download today it's FREE!
http://www.windowslive.com/share.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Wave2_sharelife_112007

This thread: